I learned a lot during those study times. It's where I learned to read. I can recall sitting on my dad's lap, watching his finger follow along with the words being spoken. When it got to my turn, he would whisper the words into my ear, and I would repeat them louder, until I could recognize the words by myself.
I also learned to sit reverently during these times. My mother's head must have ached after some of the most trying study periods, mainly when we were younger. My brothers and I often tried to make each other laugh and would get sent to our rooms. We also had competitions about everything like who could say "amen" first, after the last verse was read. Those lasted until my parents explained, once again, the importance of being reverent and how, although fun and not necessarily "wrong," spiritual experiences can sometimes be missed in times of inappropriate joviality.
I also learned the importance of continual studying. We would read through the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Old Testament and New Testament and then start over again, and again, and again. My parents taught me that there is always something more to be learned.
I am so grateful that they taught me diligence in studying the scriptures. So now, when I am in Sunday school or in my New Testament class, I don't think "Oh, I've already studied this chapter, I can zone out." Instead, I have been taught to constantly look and listen for the insights I missed before.
No comments:
Post a Comment