Wednesday, April 1, 2009

NT #11

Besides my birthday, which I always take 1/4 of the year to celebrate, my favorite day of the year is April Fool's day.
I love pranks. Methylene blue, toilet papering, dixie-cupping, newspapering... it's all fun. I do have some firm beliefs like pranks should be easy clean-up, not malicious, and not vandalistic. I also think that pranks should be planned, and should never be off-the-cuff, spur-of-the-moment ordeals. Pranks done in haste often end in tears.
I thought yesterday would be a great day in my prank history. I was wrong. I did not pull a single prank. Oh I thought of a few, I plotted a little inside my head. But I did not execute a single one. And it's the weirdest thing: I do not regret it at all.
As I heard other people tell me of their crazy adventures involving everything from whipped cream to smashed eggs, from tears to dislocated shoulders, I sat and listened, smiled a little at the more clever ones...
and then I was done. I had no regrets. I did not have to worry about any clean-up (emotional or physical) or any retaliation.
And it felt kind of good.
I read the assigned scriptures for my religion class this morning on the Last Supper. I thought about it, and this is kind of a weird thought, but I thought "I wonder how Christ feels about pranks."
For some reason I can not imagine Christ short-sheeting a bed and later yelling, "you got punk'd!" (which is not a very sportsmanlike way to engage in a prank war anyway).
I just can not see Him having fun at someone elses expense.
Am I condemning pranks? No, not at all. I can't even guarantee that I will never pull another prank again.
All I am saying is that I did not pull any pranks yesterday, and I feel pretty good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment