Monday, March 23, 2009

NT #10

I went to the Museum of Art for my New Testament class. I must confess that the BYU art museum is one of my favorite places on campus. It's the first building I remember seeing. My brother Richard went to BYU when I was eleven, and my family came to Utah to drop him off at college. The only thing I remember about the trip is touring the art museum with my dad. At the time, the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit was showing. I had no idea what they were, and man oh man, looking back, if I had only known. But although I did not realize the value of the Dead Sea Scrolls, my heart was instilled with a love of the BYU Art museum.
Since coming to BYU, I have visited the art museum several times. I go with friends sometimes "just because" or sometimes I will just go through by myself, rediscovering my favorite pictures.
One of my favorite things to do is to sit and memorize the large painting of Christ at the pool of Bethesda. I just like sitting and looking at it.
So it was a real treat for me to go on my first official tour and have the guide talk about it. I am grateful for the effort BYU has made to create a wonderful art museum, and expecially the effort they have taken to create a religious section. The art museum will always be a beloved place in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment