I just finished reading Between the Testaments by S. Kent Brown and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel. It discusses the 500 years between Malachi and Matthew, and sets the stage for what the culture was like in the New Testament.
I feel like my understanding of the intertestamental period grew exponentially; probably because I knew absolutely nothing about it before a few months ago.
I understand more about how the Bible came to be, how it was compiled, why it was translated etc. I understand more about the politics of the time period, how Rome got involved in Judea, who the Maccabees were etc.
I think it is so important to understand about history. It leaves you more able to understand human nature, understand people's arguments, and understand motivations for a lot of things people, past and present, do.
I think you understand that people are people, no matter what century or culture they were born into. There is a disposition to do good in all of us, and there is a disposition to do wrong in all of us, in any time period.
Those are my thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment