Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Am. Gov. #3

I love our country. I love being patriotic. One of my favorite days of the year is the 4th of July. We start out the day by going to the community parade with my Grandmother. We go a little early to set out chairs so we have good seats. After the parade my dad takes us into the foothills and we go hiking, enjoying the beautiful landscapes of our country.
We always finish the night by going to the local college to a spot in the grass where my father has claimed a spot for us with a blanket in the wee hours of the morning. There are hundreds of families laughing and playing together as they wait. We listen to the band and play cards and eat food and just have a wonderful time being together.
At a certain part of the night, the band plays all the songs of the armed forces. Veterans from each branch stand when their song is played and everyone applauds. At the end, the band director announces that it is time for the countdown. Everyone quickly gathers with their friends and families and we all count down from ten together. At the end, the most wonderful display of fireworks fills the night sky. Without fail, it leaves everyone with wonder.
"ooh's" and "aah's" fill the air, mixing with the crackles and poppings of the explosives. Sometimes you can see the trail of smoke the fireworks leave, and smell the gunpowder.
It's a wonderful time. But today I wonder how often I think of the founders of our nation during this time. I've been reading a lot about the events that lead up to the Declaration of Independence lately for my American Government class. I am fascinated by their stories, but do I remember them on Independence day? Right now, I am deciding to take a little time each 4th of July to remember those who have gone before to make this country great for me. I will especially remember the heroes of the American Revolution. I will remember why we are celebrating, and I will be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment