I have rather struggled to think of something to write about this week.
I can think of things that might be interesting to me, but somehow I feel that they would be of little interest to others, or I do not know how to relate my thoughts in an articulate manner.
I have this problem in my classes sometimes. I will think of something to say, but I never know if I will be able to articulate my thoughts, and by the time I have figured out how to saw what I want to, the class discussion has already moved elsewhere. It's not a problem in conversation; you can clarify and ask questions and re-clarify until you understand what the other person is saying. I think it's just in situations where I know I will not be able to re-explain what I have said if the other person does not quite understand.
Thinking along these same lines, I think that is one of the challenges of teaching the gospel. I think there are a lot of feelings which come with learning the gospel. Feelings and words are parts of two very different categories, and trying to explain feelings using words is like sticking a square peg into a round hole.
I am always very impressed with people who can invoke strong feelings in others with mere words. People who can move others to action by speaking to them. Even books that move people to tears or laughter- evidence that they are feeling something. I think the New Testament has this quality. If you study the New Testament, really study it not just skim over the words, then I believe the Holy Ghost can enter your heart and somehow fit the square words into round feelings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment