Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NT #3

The last time I really studied the New Testament--beyond a chapter here or there--was my Junior year in high school. I had the unique opportunity to be studying something from all four standard works on a daily basis: We were studying the Doctrine and Covenants in my early-morning seminary class; My family was studying the Old Testament together every night; I was answering yet another challenge to read the Book of Mormon and reading from that every night; and I had the wonderful privilege of being in Savior of the World- a production about Jesus Christ.
One thing I love about Savior of the World is that it does not really focus on the life of Jesus Christ. The first act ends with His birth, and the second act begins with His death. Mainly you see the effect His life had on others.
The production itself affected my life in several ways. My father was put in charge of directing it. It was such a time-consuming task that he said he would only direct if his family could be involved; That way, he would not have to spend so much time away from home. I had little desire to actually be a part of the show, but I couldn't very well sabotage it by saying "no I won't do this." So I agreed and took a very small part in the chorus. Since I had felt rather pushed into the whole ordeal, I regretfully did not have the best attitude.
Slowly though, as I began to understand a bit more about the show, and as I finally saw the scriptures coming to life before my eyes, Savior of the World began to mean so much more to me. I learned things then that somehow seem obvious to me now. For the first time I was really amazed at how humble and submissive Mary was. How understanding Joseph must have been. I became aware of how important the resurrection would be to people who had lost loved ones.
Many of these lessons became ingrained into my head, where I can now recall them and talk about how wonderful it is. Savior of the World has kind of drifted into the back of my head now, a wonderful memory that I rarely remember. Even when I am studying the New Testament, I don't automatically think of Savior of the World, it's usually when someone says "remember when?"
Some moments have stuck. The real things that have stuck with me, and will never leave, are the feelings I associate with the New Testament. The Spirit that was present during the performances, and during our conversations about the gospel. The testimony I gained of Christ's atonement, and the gratitude I feel towards Mary, Joseph, all of Christ's supporters, and especially the people who took the time to record the gospel. The good news. These things I will have always.

No comments:

Post a Comment