Monday, February 23, 2009

NT #6

What is the most important lesson we could learn in life? This is one of the most interesting questions I have ever thought about. The answer is really subject to opinion, as people place importance on a variety of things.
To me, however, I think the most important less you can learn is who you are. It is so important to understand our divine heritage. I think if you can understand where you came from, that you are a child of God, and that you have such glorious potential! I think if this lesson is learned, then all other good teachings will fall into place.
I grew up singing "I am a child of God" and I heard every single primary, Family Home Evening, and Young Woman's lesson on divine heritage. I was told it so much growing up, that I never really thought about it. I merrily skipped along life giving my "primary answers" when asked, and never really wondered what it meant to be a daughter of God, and therefore only comprehended it on a very surface level.
When the identity crisis of adolescence hit, I felt so uprooted and lost. I remember the day I really understood this concept. I was at girls camp, and we had a devotional on "The Royal Within." Suddenly it hit me what everyone had been trying to tell me my entire life: I am a daughter of God. I am royal. Heavenly Father loves me, not just as a painter loves his artwork, but as a father loves his child.
I love this aspect of the gospel, the good news, I love the fact that we are all children of our Heavenly Father.
That is what I think the most important lesson we can learn on life is, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment