Wednesday, February 11, 2009

AM. Gov. #4

I love the book by Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities. I am reading it again for my Civilizations class, and I love seeing my old friends the Mannettes, and Mr. Lorry, and Sidney Carton. Although I know the book has been criticized because the characters are all connected through a series of unbelievable coincidences, that is precisely why I love it. I love how the characters, no matter how small, always come up later on in the story.
During our analysis of the book in my civilizations class (we are looking for causes and justifications of war) someone mentioned that the French Revolution was largely influenced by the American Revolution. I had heard this before and kind of shuffled it to the back of my mind again until I was reading for my American Government and societies class.
As I was taking a closer look at the American Revolution, I realized how much of a difference there was between that one and the French Revolution. The French Revolution was so much more horrorific, it's incredible. Even the difference between how we declared Independence. America, with the signing of a document explaining why revolt was necessary; France with the storming of the Bastille.
In America, it was largely the upper-class that took charge and laid a foundation for a country that would strive to minimalize the differences between classes. In France, the aristocracy was hunted and beheaded.
From America, we remember noble George Washington. Of France we learn of the terrorizing Robespierre.
What was the difference? Why the differences? I still do not have all the answers, mainly just observations so far. But I will continue to look and ponder upon the differences between the American and French Revolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment